Wednesday, December 14, 2011

"Let it Snow" framed wall art


You can see details for my entire Christmas mantel HERE

I got a couple of pictures from a friend for free, but it wasn't the pictures I was interested in, it was the frames. (Though I'm sure you'll agree the pictures are just lovely ;) I had a vision for some cute framed wall art for Christmas, so I got to work dismantling them.

Supplies:
  • Frame
  • Spray paint
  • Contact paper
  • Foam snowflake
  • Ribbon
  • Tape or hot glue



First I removed the glass and backing and laid the frame out in the yard for several of coats of white spray paint. On a side note, if it's windy outside, just say no to spray painting. Just don't. Step away.


After the frame was painted, I used my Silhouette to cut out "let it snw" from white contact paper (and yes, I know I'm missing the 'o', you'll see where that went next!) If you don't have a craft cutter, just use Word to create your wording and then trace it onto the back of some contact paper (make sure you flip your letters!) and cut out. After cutting, I just peeled the backing off and stuck the letters to the wall.


For the O, I wanted to substitute a snowflake and hang it from ribbon, so I used a foam snowflake that I bought in a pack Wal-Mart and some red sparkly ribbon. I just cut the ribbon long enough to hang from the top of the frame down to the wording and used tape to attach it.
  

Then I put it all together!


It really makes a great focal point for my Christmas mantel. I can't wait to come up with some ideas to reuse my frame after Christmas is over!


Check out my sidebar to see where I link up each week!

17 comments:

  1. Your mantel looks very pretty! Love the framed wall art! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great mantelscape, and cute idea with the snowflake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this and it would be perfect for our winter crafts and decor week!
    I am looking for people to do tutorials for January and I am actually looking for new people. It will be a new year after all.
    Email me if you are interesed in doing a tutorial on the CSI Projct
    www.thecsiproject.com
    dee@thecsiproject.com
    Jan. 10th and 11th are the dates of the winter crafts and decor challenge
    Let me know.
    Dee, the CSI Girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty! the blues and silvers come together so nicely with your blue walls.

    Kim
    www.todayismysome-day.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! I really like the combination of materials you used with the foam flake, ribbon and frame. It adds a lot of dimension to the art! Thanks for sharing. New follower from I<3Naptime

    http://chickenscratchny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable. It makes me want to paint my living room wall blue, just to steal the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The details are so gorgeous! Love your color coordination. Would love love love for you to share this at our party going on now http://space46.blogspot.com/2011/12/co-hosting-pinteresting-link-party-week.html. Best, My

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo! Your mantel is lovely! Let it snow is one of my favorite Christmas songs. :)

    The frame idea is great! I just love the look of those!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this is awesome. Thank you for sharing. I am your newest follower and I look forward to reading more of your posts! I would appreciate it if you took a moment to stop over at my blog and followed me back. Thank you! http://milliemorganmedia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! The snowflake as the "o" is the perfect touch! I would love for you to share this at my special holiday linky party going on right now! http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2011/12/12-days-of-christmas-holiday-linky.html

    Happy Holidays to you and yours!!
    ~Nikki ...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute idea... I just got those snowflakes on clearance at Michaels so I'll have to give this a try!

    I'm hosting a Winter Wonderland link party on Monday and would love it if you linked up!
    -Melissa
    www.serendipityandspice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you recall what font this is? I planned on cutting something similar with my Silhouette for a shadow box and I love this font. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments! I try to respond to each of them through email so please make sure you leave an email address or have your profile set up to include your email address if you want me to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails